Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Contagious Christianity

John 15: 5 – 17

In this passage, Jesus is re-establishing his relationship with his disciples… and with us as well…

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”

The promise that Jesus is telling us in the word “abide”…is to remain… to have Jesus and his word so deeply engrained into the very fiber of your being that you cannot help but live for Jesus.

He tells his disciples, and he tells us as well, that the key to our walk with him is to stay connected to him. I say that he tells us as well because the Bible says that Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever, and that heaven and earth will pass away, but his never-ending word remains the same in an ever-changing world.

Being a Contagious Christian means more than just sharing your faith in Christ Jesus with the next person. It means being the branches, reaching out to those around you, and stretching beyond your comfort zone. It means that if someone grabs on to the branch that you’ve extended, they should feel God’s presence – remember that HE is the vine…He is the root… and he will help you and guide you to extend his love through you.

Remember verse 17 says “This is my command… love each other.”

Jesus goes on to say “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” How awesome it is of God that HE wants HIS joy to be in us… and that He gives us the steps we need to make our joy complete. We don’t even have to wonder or question what we have to do… he tells us, and shows us what to do… now the question is… will we do it… and do we always do it?

His command to us in verse 12 is “love one another as I have loved you…” This is one of those scriptures in the Bible where reading and understanding its meaning is sometimes easier than putting it into practice. Jesus, we know, loves unconditionally, and he is asking us to do the same, as he says “Love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU…”

But his promise is very clear… do this so that my joy may be in you… and that your joy may be complete.

He goes on to say in verse 16 “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last.” Remember one thing… God does not make mistakes. When HE chose you and appointed you to go and bear much fruit, he expects that you will do it… he expects that you will be a contagious Christian by your actions, your words, and your faith.

“Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” Then in verse 17 he states again… “This is my command: Love each other.”

These words from scripture that I have shared today are to help remind each and every one of us of just one of God’s many promises.

We have many opportunities daily, weekly to put into practice God’s words from today. While God provides these opportunities, it is up to us to answer them, and apply them to our lives. Remember that He chose you… and appointed you… to go and bear fruit.

Paul’s attitude was that he wanted to know nothing except Christ and him Crucified. That showed through in everything he did, and as a result of that attitude, his ministry was felt through the known world of his day, and he wrote more books in the Bible than any other author. Paul was a Contagious Christian…

Someone recently shared with me this quote… which I will leave you with today…

“Attitude is truly contagious… So ask yourself one question… is yours worth catching?”

I Bid You Peace...
Pastor Ken+

No comments: