Monday, April 28, 2008

Restoring and Renewing

S.B.: Psalm 23: 1 – 6

Are you carrying a burden? Does it seem like you are going absolutely nowhere… fast? Don’t despair, there is good news for you.

We lead very hectic lives, and we have very little time scheduled (if any) for the purpose of being restored. The necessity of restoration and renewal is something that God has planned for us, and is an integral part of our walk with HIM. We have a source of regeneration directly from God’s word… HE LEADS ME BESIDE QUIET WATERS… HE RESTORES MY SOUL!

A month ago, I had the privilege of going away on a retreat for Pastors. This retreat was not to be like any other that I have ever been on, because I had quite an eye-opener on what restoration and renewal really means.

Verses 2 and 3 from the 23rd Psalm came alive for me in a new and unexpected manner… “He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters… He restores my soul.” Did you see the word “He” in these two verses? HE has to make me take some time to rest… My life is a beehive of activity and HE has to lead me to a place where I can have solace. He restores my soul.

Restoration comes from many sources… a balanced, healthy diet… spending time with family and friends… even recreation is a contributing factor to the restorative process, and God encourages us to partake freely of this gift.

The first part of this retreat was dedicated to rediscovering a personal Sabbath time. (a time dedicated solely to rest and restoration.) After we were welcomed to the retreat center, and the theme for the retreat was announced, we were told that from 4 to 6 o’clock was to be a Sabbath Time… meaning no “Pastoral Work” During the next two hours I prayed, I painted, I went out for coffee with another pastor, but found it difficult not to make a call, or check email, or write a sermon. It was difficult just to rest… I don’t mean sleeping… I mean resting my mind, and my soul. The words “He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters…” took on a new meaning for me. God’s word does tell us “It’s okay… you’ve done enough… it’s time to take a rest.”

After dinner that evening, we went on an adventure in restoration and renewal. We were invited to a nearby church, and were brought into a large, state-of-the-art Game room.

What happened next was an interesting study into the need for restoration. Several of the men seemed to have no problem and started using the equipment and games available. The rest of us, however, stood around awkwardly for a few minutes until we gathered up the courage to give ourselves permission to have some fun! It was quite a learning experience that evening… and a very humbling experience, in that it took me a while to warm up to the idea that it was okay to have fun.

I share this experience with you today so that we can all know, myself included, that when God says in Psalm 23 that He restores my soul, those words are for today… right now… they are not just for funerals as we tend to apply this psalm.

God doesn’t want his children to be uptight and deadly serious all the time. God’s word to us is for us to cast our cares on HIM for HE cares for us! One of my favorite pictures, and maybe some of you have seen it as well at the Lighthouse Christian Bookstore, is of Jesus kicking a soccer ball with a bunch of kids.

Now, the question is “What is so significant about that experience?” The answer is that restoration is a two-step process. The Psalmist’s words “He restores my soul” carry the implication that I have to allow HIM to restore my soul. I have to yield myself to his will and his direction. Often He gives us things He wants us to do for the Kingdom… but he also gives us time to “relax, unwind, and have some fun.”

My prayer for all of us today is that we will take time to practice a Sabbath time during our week, remembering the words from our scripture passage today… He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. Allow God to give you the rest that you need.

I Bid You Peace...
Pastor Ken+

No comments: